2012 Garden Goals/Resolutions
Wow. It’s been a long time since I posted something. I guess my first goal for 2012 should be that I write more often. Anyway, here are my gardening goals for the upcoming year. Keep in mind that my garden is hibernating for winter — so don’t judge!!
1. Post more often.
2. Winterize the greenhouse. Right now we’re using the cheap interior plastic to keep out the extra cold but a recent wind storm removed a lot of it. At least the little heater is helping keep the aeoniums and other wimpy plants from freezing. I’d like to add some heavy duty plastic panels like the ones I add to the chicken coop every winter.
3. Replace the reed fencing that hides the neighbor’s chain link fence. I’m hoping they’ll let me replace the chain link with something but they seem to be fond of it. I’d LOVE to add a composting fence. Here are some of my inspiration pictures:
4. Get honey bees. I’m taking the class with WSU Snohomish County Extension office starting January 9. I can’t wait! If you’re interested, here’s information on the class: http://snohomish.wsu.edu/ag/workshops/Beekeeping11.pdf
5. Add more espalier fruit. I’m planning on adding an espalier peach tree and fig tree to the garden. We’ll plant the peach on a south facing fence in the veggie garden (pictured below) and the fig on a south facing wall along the walkway between our front and back yards.
6. Redesign the veggie garden layout. Since my green beans are losing their home to my future espalier peach tree, I need to find a new home for the green beans. I’m thinking of using rebar and cattle panels to create a bean trellis we can walk under – similar to the one I saw in the Jenning’s Park Garden in Marysville (pictured below). I’m thinking of adding it along our walkway to the greenhouse.
This is all I’ve got so far. Wish me luck.